The Mentor Program
The Mentor program aims to provide advice and guidance in the areas that need improvement and will not oversee every aspect of an entry.
Ultimately, the mentor program aims to improve Victoria’s tourism offering and excel a business to a standard of excellence that is recognised nationally.
The program assists entrants with preparing a high quality submission that will go on to win nationally at the Qantas Australian Tourism Awards. Greater wins nationally will assist in positioning Victoria as a tourism leader that delivers high quality visitor experiences.
The Mentor program is for previous entrants of the same category being entered in the RACV Victorian Tourism Awards. The Mentor Program is available for business categories only (not individual categories).
It is expected that entrants will have completed approximately half of their submission to enable mentors to provide relevant support.
First-time entrants can gain assistance through regional Project Officer support.
Mentor services available
There are two types of mentor services offered.
- One-on-one mentoring: entrants receive around 4-5 hours of support time, at least one face-to-face meeting (or more if agreed by both parties) and email and phone communication.
- One-off consult: Meet or speak with a Mentor by telephone, email or at the VTIC office (150 Collins Street, Melbourne). This service is designed for those have previously received one-on-one mentoring or would like some quick advice. Must be pre-arranged and must meet the mandatory requirements below:
Entrants are required to complete a Mentor Program Application Form and meet each of the following :
- Have ‘fully’ completed an online nomination
- Provide the response to Question 1a with the mentor application
- Provide judges feedback report/s from the most recent entry with the mentor application
- Provide three specific areas requiring assistance in the mentor application
- Did not receive one-on-one mentoring in 2016 or 2017 (if so, entrants are eligible for a 1 hour consult)
- Have not yet won Gold at the Qantas Australian Tourism Awards for the same entry
- Be a VTIC or Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry member (In The Loop membership starts at $150 or contact Ian McDougal on 8662 5431 to discuss the best option).
Complete a Mentor Program Application Form and email (with mandatory documents) to email@example.com
Who are the mentors?
Mentors are former Judges, Hall of Fame winners and/or experienced industry representatives. They volunteer their time and expertise to contribute in raising Victoria’s tourism industry standard and state competitiveness at a National level.
Mentors sign a confidentiality agreement to ensure any information you share remains private. Mentors generally work with more than one entrant and are matched so there isn’t a conflict of interest between both parties.
*Mentors are industry volunteers who give up their time to assist entrants. They are not paid in any way for this service they provide.